Did you know there are health benefits from humor and laughter?
Take the time to laugh to get these Seven (7) Health Benefits from Laughter:
- Laughter diminishes Pain by triggering endorphins providing you with some pain relief. It also brings your body and mind back into balance.
2. Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical stress and tension, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes afterwards.
3. Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
4. Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins help to promote an overall sense of well-being.
5. Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.
6. Laughter burns calories. One study found that laughing for 10 to 15 minutes a day can burn about 40 calories—which could be enough to lose three or four pounds over the course of a year. Yes, you still need to go to the GYM (LOL)
7. Laughter may even help you to live longer. A study in Norway found that people with a strong sense of humor outlived those who don’t laugh as much. The difference was particularly notable for those battling cancer.
My prescription for good health: Seek more opportunities for humor and laughter so we can improve our emotional health, strengthen our relationships, find greater happiness—and even add years to our lives.
©2017 Winifred D. Bragg, MD. All Rights Reserved.